Bluebird and Cardinal in a snow storm

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Knoxville was socked by about ten inches of snow. The Bluebird and Cardinal landed in our peach tree. I was part way out my patio door, handholding a 90D with a Sigma150-600. Focusing was a challenging because the camera kept focusing on snowflakes. I like the out of focus Cardinal in back of the Bluebird. This is my first post in 11 months and hope to get back out health permitting.

Specific Feedback

Is the Bluebird too saturated? Any other help is deeply appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon 90D
Sigma 150-600 @ 347mm
ISO 1000
1/800 shutter speed.

3 Likes

I don’t have much to add, other than to say great job spotting this and capturing it! I love the way the cardinal is facing the bluebird, it helped draw my eye there.

Hi Brian, this is a really nice catch, to have both of them in the same frame. The composition is very good, with both birds sitting on horizontal branches in close proximity to each other and the snowflakes are blurred to give a real sense of the season. I think the bluebird colors are fine too. Your intention was probably to draw attention to the bluebird, but my personal preference would be to have the cardinal in focus too. Anyway, congrats because you were in the right place at the right time.

Very nice, Brian. Glad to see you posting again. The focus looks good on the bluebird. Too bad that one flake was right in front of its eye. The our of focus Cardinal in the background is a great bonus and works well since this is as much about the snowstorm as the birds.

For future reference, going to manual focus might be a good bet for this situation, though it can be hard to do hand holding.

Hey Brian, great catch indeed. For some reason this feels like a Christmas card. Wonderful.

Hi Brian, looks like y’all got a lot more snow than we did in Memphis. I really like falling snow shots but rarely get the opportunity where I live. Nice focus on the bluebird and I like the overall feel of the image with the out of focus cardinal providing another point of interest in the BG.

Thank you Jim. I will hope for another chance at a similar photo and try your suggestion.

Thank you Allen.

Thank you David. I am actually considering that myself.

1 Like

Thank you Dennis. I will definitely try manual focus the next time. This was a panic capture. Basically, take the shot and hope for the best before they move.

Thank you Matt.