Bounty Bay South Carolina low tide

Redo 2

Redo

Botany Bay Salt Marsh

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The second trip to Botany Bay this year was very interesting.

Specific Feedback

This is a very moody environment, and I am trying to capture the emotional experience I felt.
What are your thoughts and ideas?

Technical Details

Both images are very cool … The sky with the lines in the clouds are great. and having some color in the photo works well. It could go Black and White but this works !!! The black trees are beautiful against the sky !!!

1 Like

Hi Steve,

What is happening here? It’s like a color and B&W photo in one! Very unique look. It is also an incredibly surreal image as well. I love the dark dead tree, primarily, and the other dead snags, right on the edge of the water which one would think would have kept the tree alive, but it’s not. That partial reflection of the tree in the sand is also wonderful, especially how it is broken up. The clouds of course, with that great pattern and strong diagonal line, add such a wonderful dynamic element to the whole photo and further give the B&W feel, but then that hazy dark blue sky comes in. I love everything about this composition. My only critique is the halo around the tree’s main trunk where it is most prominent seems unnatural, but I could almost let it pass as it seems to work as if the sun was back behind the tree causing the halo. But the snag to the left of the tree has that halo as well on the branch that sticks up into the sky and has no reason for it to naturally occur, which then makes it apparent that the halo on the tree is not natural either. I am not sure if it is an artifact in processing by the use of a mask, but if it could be minimized on both, or at least on the snag, it might work out fine on the tree. But in any case a wonderful photo to look at. Great Job!

1 Like

Thanks Guys
Your thoughts
Steve