Bow's Arrows

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

On our last trip to the Canadian Rockies we came upon Bow Lake at early morning and these zig zag reflections immediately caught my eye. The lake never went completely still but I like the effects of the ripples.

Technical Details

Sony A77II
Sony 70-400 G @ 200mm
ISO 100, 1/60 @ f8

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

I really love this image. The combination of the very blurry foreground with the very clear right part makes it a very interesting picture with many layers and elements. It is fun to tour around the frame and discover different elements and the play of the brown and the green, the blurry and the sharp. I wish there was a little more on the right side as I feel like the main triangle seems a little cramped to me. But other than that really great picture.

Not too often you can see such great straight angles in nature. Well seen. I really like how there are the two distinct points to make these triangles that have my eye going up and down and side to side in the image. Though, I, too, think it could use a little more space on the side to give the lines some breathing room. Though, if it is there, it might also introduce elements that pull the viewer away from the play of angles. Fun shot.

Bill, what a striking image! I love it.

Nit: The bottom third of the image reflects bright rocks (I assume) that are out of the frame at the top. You might consider lowering the highlights a little there. It draws my eyes away from the main event.

Bill, the zig-zag looks great. Your viewing angle, letting the front ridge be highlighted by it’s own shadow is a good touch.