Brandt's Cormorant pair on their nest with mating behavior

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Had to search for pair on nest with interesting behavior and fairly close and avoid other birds nearby.

Technical Details

Sony A1 with 600 mm GM lens at f8 and 1/2000 sec at 1600 ISO

2 Likes

Larry, good to see you posting again! Good interaction between the 2 cormies and I just love the breeding colors. Terrific sharpness on both birds heads and eyes and nice background water color. I might consider a crop off the right side to remove the birds poking into the frame on the BRC. Other than that, I have no recommendations.
I’ve been shooting the pelicans and the cormies the last two weekends and am going again this Saturday if you want to hook up. The cormies now have chicks! Let me know.

They have unusual, but beautiful, eyes, don’t they? The three (at least) shades of turquoise really grabbed my attention, Larry, and their interaction is comical! It looks like one is telling the other: “It’s your turn to clean out the nest”. Instead of cropping out the LRC, why not just clone out the intrusive bit for a gorgeous all-turquoise bg?

1 Like

I love the interaction here, Larry. Excellent catch of emotion and communication. Excellent.

Larry, the colors are amazing here.

I do think it could be tightened up a bit with cropping. First, to eliminate the background blob in the lower right corner. Then it’s just a question of whether the balance between the criss-crossing shapes and the remaining empty space feels right. I’m actually very tempted to suggest a vertical crop, in order to really emphasize and draw more attention to those great facial blues… but it’s tough to get rid of the nice wing patterns, and the overall wider diagonal lines of the two bodies do work well together!