Neotropical Cormorant with nesting material

Seen last April at Jefferson Island, Louisiana.

Canon 7D2, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x TC III, monopod
ISO 400, f7.1, 1/2000s
Any comments appreciated.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Allen, it’s a nice moment with a great complementary background. The fact that the face is peeking through all those leaves really makes it work.

Right now your bird is sort of centered vertically. I think you could crop from top (which could get rid of that one darker blemish in the background, and which works since the cormorant is looking downward) or bottom to help the composition slightly. My only question is, how much of a crop is this? Your settings seem perfect for capturing this action, but when I look at the larger image there’s less sharp detail than I’d expect, so I’m just curious if you had to crop a fair amount.

Max

Fascinating behavioral shot here. Bird pops quite well against the green background. I agree with Max with respect to the bird peeking through the vine in its mouth.

Allen: nice capture of this Springtime behavior. I would suggest a modest pano type of crop. Richard

Cool flight pose carrying the vegetation… The IQ is not up to most of your work in this one for me.

I really like the eye peeking through the vegetation, and the fully extended wings. I wonder if heat haze affected the IQ. The BG has a little bit of a hazy look, but I don’t know if that’s because the bird was kind of close to it or because of shimmer or something. Exposure is spot on; tough to get right on a black bird.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Yes, this is cropped and I guess so much to affect image quality.

I love the way the willow leaves stream back around the cormorant, Allen. I’m not quite sure of a good approach, but I think some more separation from the background would help in this image. Everything just kind of blends together.