Cormorant with meal

Seen at Ding Darling NWR, Sanibel Island. I’m not sure what kind of fish this is - must be some kind of bottom dweller. Cleaned up the surface of the water some and some sun highlights on the fish.

Canon 7D2, Sigma 150-600 C, monopod
ISO 400, f7.1, 1/1250s

Any comments appreciated.

Nice capture with good detail. My only nit would be the distorted reflection. I wonder if it would work with a crop half way down the reflection? Always like Cormorants for their yellow bills and green eyes.

Fantastic behavior capture! I love the lighting and the little flipper gripping the lower jaw/beak: “I’m just checking under the hood…be done in a minute.” Seriously, my only question and not sure if this we possible would be a vertical crop with the rest of the neck/head reflection? (I think I may be too symmetrical in my cropping suggestions) :thinking:

Very pleasing light and warmth in this image. Excellent action. I’m not bothered by the reflection. My only wish was for a little more space on the left side to encompass more of the bird.

Beautiful, Allen. An excellent moment and nicely framed to emphasize the action.

Great action you got here, amazing guys these Cormorants. Would have loved to have a full bird in the image to be honest, but other than that a stunning shot! Cheers, Hans

Allen, what a great capture for the both of you. My only nit is, that I didn’t take it! Seriously, I would be thrilled to have captured this shot. You really captured the moment. :+1: :+1: In just a second, that fish was down the hatch.

1 Like

@Hans_Overduin, here’s a version of the full bird. Better? This one centers the bird’s head and fish.

Hello, Allen, I’d say I like this one better, the head in the center doesn’t bother me. That said, the (virtual) tail is still out of frame :wink: … But all in all, if I had to chose, I’d go for the repost ! Cheers, Hans