Cormorant at Sea

Although I get the occasional Cormorant feeding in the water in front if my house, it’s more spectaculair to see them ast sea. This image was taken from the local pier (giving me a less lower perspective than I usual would prefer :wink: ) but I liked the white on the water matching the breeding plumage of the bird. It was quite windy that day and I was mainly avoiding my gear getting (too) salty… Thanks for viewing !

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D500 with 500mm f4 | 1/640s | f4 | ISO400 | overexposed 1, 1/3 EV | handheld
I lightened the eye bit (less than you may think, it usually stands out pretty well with this species)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi Hans,
Wow - a beautiful Cormorant. Love the eye and feather pattern on the neck. Well exposed too. I might try cropping some from the left to place the bird more off center. A fine capture either way.

Thanks Allen, and thanks for suggesting ! Thing is however that these birds have quite a long tail, which would be out of frame (okay, it’s underwater anyhow, but still…). I did reconsider it, and decided against it, but I have the same doubts :slight_smile:

Very nice, Hans. This shows off the breeding plumage well. It’s interesting how much the different cormorant species look alike except for the breeding patterns. I like that you didn’t try to level the bird, but let it ride the wave.

Excellent look at the cormorant in breeding plumage and I like the dynamic nature of the pose in the surf. For my taste the water is a bit too white and tends to draw my eye from the bird.

Agree with the above. Really like seeing the breeding plumage. This is one of the rare ones where I like the elevated vantage point. Only critique is that there seems to be a bit of a yellow cast to the photo?

Well done. It is nice to see them in their breeding plumage. It looks like you might have had some nice warm soft light

Thanks for your comments. @Lyle_Gruby: it was last daylight, with the sun backlighting the scene, maybe that causes the yellowness. Cheers, Hans

I really like the environment with the rougher waves and water in the background. I’m okay with the position of the bird in the frame because the foreground wave has symmetry which is quite pleasing. I could also see the background being a little darker with a little more texture but I understand you had the sun in your face when you took this. I’m surprised there is as much detail in the background at F4.

I was going to mention how great it was that the foam echoed the tones in the plumage… but you already went there. :grinning: Nice work, Hans.

Max