Breaking Light

This is a single shot double processed for the sky and land mass. This is one of my favorite spots - White Pocket. It is a smallish area of endless leading lines. When the light broke through to hit these two mounds I couldn’t resist.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any and all.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Is this an appealing shot or is it just one those moments special to me because I was in the “moment”.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
4 Likes

@Greg_Stokesbury I can’t find a lot to critique here Greg. Comp, focus, exposure are spot on. Nice work.

Hi Greg,

This is a striking image with the dynamic lines and great light. No nits from me

A great photo! The blue saturation in the foreground rock is perfect.

Very dramatic image, I love the mood you have captured here. The sky and sunlit brain rocks look gorgeous. I also like the texture and color in the foreground rocks. No nits from me, I like this as presented.

Hi @Greg_Stokesbury, this is a great image. I
You found a fantastic light that you processed very well. Composition is great, the eye start from an interesting dark foreground to an illuminated background. The cloud brake is magical. Thanks for sharing,

This is awesome, Greg. Great light and form. What else can you ask for. As others have indicated, I don’t see anything to critique. Composition and processing look spot-on. I don’t know what focal length you shot this with but the dof you achieved in a single exposure is impressive.

I love it, Greg! My favorite part of the image is that sweeping wave just above the center of the frame. I would love to make it down there sometime, it does look very special.

Really nicely composed and that sidelight makes the two mounds alive! They shine below the dramatic sky. I also find the sharpness impressive for a single exposure!

Thanks @Ron_Jansen, @Jeff_Anderson, @Dave_Dillemuth, @masdamb, @Ed_McGuirk, @Ronald_Murphy, @Nathan_Klein and @Gary_Randall for all the input. I am glad everyone liked it. Maybe I should have went to it earlier? The focal length on this shot was 18mm, f11 using my 11-24 Canon lens on my Sony camera. It’s a super lens that when you focus it on the appropriate spot it’s amazing how sharp it can be from top to bottom. Thanks again for the feedback.

1 Like

Wow, just spectacular Greg! This one is exceptional; no nits.

Thanks @John_Williams appreciate it.