Brewer's Blackbirds

A small flock of Brewer’s Blackbirds were splashing in a mud puddle. I tried to get the male and female both in the same frame, but no cooperation, so this is a composite of them.

Specific Feedback Requested: Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII; Sigma 150-600 at 302 mm; 1/1000@f5.6, -1/3 EV; ISO 250
Yes, this is a composite.

Good job on the composite. It is really difficult to get these birds in one focal plane. I really couldn’t tell it was a composite. These are interesting birds with respect to plumage colors. I have a few images that I took down in Southern California but even though Dennis says they are local to the Puget Sound, I have never seen one here. He has apparently seen them south of Olympia.

The only thing I might do on this image would be to tone down or remove the specular highlights above the right-sided bird. They seem to be drawing my attention away from the interaction.

1 Like

Hi David. Thanks for the feedback. Is Olympia some sort of dead zone for blackbirds? No RWWB or BB. The range maps for both encompass all of western Washington.

Very nice idea and good capture of both birds, but in front of the breast of the left one there is a hard line where the water doesn’t match. Should be easy to do a select > subject, inverse it, tweak if necessary and mask away that area.

Hi Allen
Are these Blackbirds really that crispy, they seem a little over enhanced. I am guessing the comp is right down the center of the frame? Any way nice concept and work flow.
Peter

1 Like