Red-winged Blackbird pair

Here is a behavioral image of a male and female Red-winged Blackbird at McLain Creek wildlife area. I liked the interaction.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any concerns about the exposure on the male. It was in the shadows and the light was somewhat harsh.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details:

Iso-400, 600 mm +1.4X, F8, 1600th, tripod, D 500, 75% full frame, Adobe camera raw 10.5, Topaz adjust, TK sharpening action at 5%

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Great interaction, David. To my eye, it looks like you could go a bit darker on the male. To me it looks a bit more gray than black. It also looks like there’s a bit of a blue color cast-most visible on the perch. The composition works nicely, though I think a vertical would also work well in this situation, if you have sufficient detail.

I see (and hear) these constantly around my area, but rarely am I able to frame them at eye level. So it’s especially nice for you to have gotten the pair and the interaction. I think your exposure is an excellent baseline, without noticeable clipping of details in the blacks. As to framing, with the female looking back up at the male I would crop more from right to a fat portrait mode without hesitation. I’m guessing the male making the distinctive call during this(?)