Red-winged Blackbird

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Visited a small pond at a local county park this morning. This blackbird did some fly by’s off standing small trees in the pond. Gave me an opportunity to try for some flight shots.

Specific Feedback

I first exposed to not blow out the reds and then brought up the blacks in post processing.
How’d I do?
Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III
Monopod used to wait for the bird to fly from the branch.
Settings vary.
First shot is ISO 800, f6.3, 1/2500s

All great, Allen. If I had to pick only one it would be the second one because of the BG and the space around the bird. The slight motion blur is also cool there.

1 Like

Fantastic series! So crispy and energetic. Great freezing action and panning technique. I’d love to see one with an upward wing position if you have any. Can practically hear that musical trill!

1 Like

Thank you for the comments Mike and Kris.

@Kris_Smith, I don’t have any upward wing poses that are real sharp. Here is one that is as sharp as I have.

1 Like

Look at those feet! Love it and the scrim of red on the leading edge.

1 Like

All nice and great job with the flight shots-not easy, as in my experience they take off so quickly. I’ll go along with Mike on the second one for the combination of the background, wing position, and the area of the shoulder patch.

1 Like

Amazing flight shots Allen! I think the second shot for me is the winner as well. Not easy I’m sure. :clap:

1 Like

A very nice series andI like the second and third the best with the slight head turn. Blacks are exposed perfectly and the BG adds additional color to the comps. Well done…Jim