Broad Spectrum

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I discovered this rock formation on Harris Beach on my last day in Oregon. I had planned to do a lot of shooting from the Samuel Boardman Scenic Byway but fog socked in just about everything I wanted to work. I was feeling pretty sorry for myself but decided to just grab the camera and my 24-105 and walk the beach. I had to stop when I ran out of battery! I worked this rock face pretty hard and it was tough not to come up with an interesting comp. I especially liked the color spectrum in this scene. All comments welcome. >=))>

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
Sony FE 24-105 f4 G OSS @ 93mm
ISO 400, 1/50 @ f11, HH

2 Likes

Bill I love neutral colors and you in this image have collected so many of them. You have also collected elements of all dimensions from tiny to large. I love your colorfull design that has a three-dimensional look.

Bill, the mix of colors, shapes and textures is great. I’m especially attracted to the subtle blueish tones and how they contrast with the warm browns. I do somewhat wish for a bit more room at the top, but expect that doing so would just create another “wish there was more room” feeling. :grin:

That’s a great combination of textures and colors Bill. I tend to get too focused on big scenes, especially in that area of the coast, and it’s nice to see you stopped and smelled the seaweed (I mean roses)!

Bill,

Great eye to see and compose this intimate scene. I too like the colors and find them all complimentary. The shapes, textures and details appear almost random, yet they all mesh together nicely.

As with many abstracts of nature there are always alternate possibilities. I can see a basic square crop starting from the left, which would take out the more complicated rock structure in the UR. Not that it’s not a good part of the image, but more for simplifying. YMMV and only a suggested alternate. Your original works quite well as presented. I even like the lighter patch in the UL.

Easy to see what attracted you and why you spent time photographing.

Lon