Broken (+1 re-edit)

highlights lowered on twig -

A bit of a cedar twig has fallen onto the 2 billion (with a B) year old rock that forms the bed of the Pine river at Breakwater falls. A wonder of nature. But also the cedar twig against that carved and implacable rock. I really need to explore this area more.

Specific Feedback Requested

General impressions and ideas for processing.

Technical Details

Handheld, sitting on this water-smoothed rock chatting with my friend

Lr for all processing including some of the new healing/cloning/Content-aware tools. Slow and laggy, but they work. Some WB adjustment, sharpening and texture. And a biggish crop.

Such a wonderfully serene feel to this, Kris. Love the concept of the soft cedar twig against the rock. My only thought would be is there anyway to bring down the highlights a bit more? Great shot and wish I had had a chance to see it!

I love the simplicity of this scene Kris. The warm color of the cedar against the cool color of the stone works very well. Nicely done!

Thanks @linda_mellor & @Steve_Kennedy - glad you like this odd little bit of fall. That’s been a goal for this year, to create things outside of my usual catalog of fall photos.

The highlights have been tamed, but maybe I took them down a little more in just the cedar sprig itself. Used a subject mask and intersected it with a color range to tighten it up. It did a nice job with the selection. Should I have taken them down across the lichens, too? Doing it lowered the contrast to the point where it was muddy, but that’s just me.

Kris, I missed seeing this until now. I too like the simplicity of this image. Less is more sometimes. The repost improved an already nice shot.

Re-post is great, Kris, works for me!

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman & again @linda_mellor - I think the deeper color of the rework is what it needed!

1 Like

I love the contrast between the twig and the very old dark rock. I like how the twig curved in such a way compared to the rock. Amazing details in the twig itself. Excellent photo Kris.

Thanks @Dean_Salman - it was that dual curve that drew me to the little scene so it’s nice that you picked up on it. :grin:

Wonderful find well presented! I like the RP – don’t think it has gone too far at all. I’d be inclined to do a gradient in the UL and bring the lighter tones down there even more. For me, the combination of brightness and soft focus there competes a bit with the lovely twig, even though it continues a very nice curve. The problem is that the curve runs out of the frame…