Life in remission

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

As I sat by the Wisconsin River in the sun, I looked upstream and noticed this small cedar tree lit up and so aimed the long lens at it. I like the shadow of a nearby sapling and the shadows in the curved rock.

Specific Feedback

Does this little slice work or is there too little context? The wider scene is more of the same and of course the river itself is below, but while editing I felt this was the heart of the image. Thoughts?

Technical Details

Handheld

Lr for initial adjustments for wb and to reduce blue in the shadows. Adjusted for better contrast and color realism. Some distraction removal. Ps for a little work with selective blur (need more practice in Lr for this). Cropped to eliminate bright areas below and to each side of this little cedar.

I agree. The shadows on the curved rock are cool. I also like the subdrama going on in the upper right. That could have been a fine image on its own.

Works very nicely for me Kris. The cedar is the star and the light has illuminated it beautifully against the darker BG. The shadows are another nice element and add depth to the scene. This is being nit picky, but that small bright spot on the red toned rock face on the right grabs my eye a little. I could see cloning it out. Beautifully done.

If the little tree and the shadow are what caught your eye, why do you need more context? Just asking questions, as they say. :wink:

Thanks @Igor_Doncov, @Ed_Lowe & @Bonnie_Lampley - glad I haven’t strayed from the mark too far with this one. I thought about cropping more, but didn’t want to lose too much of the supporting ledge with all the curvy shadows. This is my compromise, but certainly there are other ways to slice it.