Brown Tree-creeper

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is another image from the 12th of September when this bird graced me with its presence. I liked the layers of rocks in this one and how it’s partially obscured by the foreground rock.

Specific Feedback

Does the oof foreground rock pose an issue? I know we’re not supposed to do that, but for me it seemed to work.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 @ 600 mm, tripod with gimbal head, f/6.3, 1/320, iso 2500, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 4771x3383.

Oh wow, this little one is a treat! So glad you were out there and prepared for such a great show. The fg…well, I’m not sure what I’d do. Maybe a bit of a crop and some darkening is in order. The bird is spot on crisp, so no worries there. I love the bits of toes showing over the top. Such an intriguing photo.

Not sure I’ve seen a creeper off a tree. I like the setting with the rocks and the rocks frame the creeper and the foreground rock looks okay to me. I wonder about darkening the background as it tends to draw my eye a bit. A different look at the creeper and the detail is great.

Hi Dennis, Love seeing the creeper in this setting. Critical focus on the bird is spot on. The oof rock in foreground grabs some attention but fits the scene.

HI Dennis
I think everything works, with the foreground setting up Brown Tree-creeper to pop into frame.
Nice.
Peter

The FG rock works perfectly for me because of the progression of focus from it to the bird and then soft again on the rocks behind. I think that part of the image is fine art. And I love those little toes! But I find the BG very distracting. That’s frustrating because its colors are perfect. How about a blur, or a lot of low opacity clone painting?

or better this way?

Thanks, Diane. I was thinking about the background and both of your ideas would work well. I’ll have to readdress it.