Bucket List (+video)

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I grew up in Indiana but my mother’s parents lived in Oregon. In the early fifties my grandfather bought a small beach house in Yachats, Oregon. He passed away in 1956 but my grandmother sold all of their other properties and moved to Yachats permanently where she lived for the next 30 years. My mom ran a school lunch program so in the summers she and I would migrate to Yachats for several weeks which kindled my love for the central Oregon coast. Just south of her house is Cape Perpetua which includes Cook’s Chasm and a bit further south Thor’s Well. I’ve shot the well from the observation deck and got a reasonably good POV but I was never completely satisfied with the results.

I did a 10 day tour of the coast from Cannon Beach to Brookings in early October and one of my must stop spots was Thor’s Well but this time I had a drone. I took close to a bazillion stills and videos pretty much looking straight down into the well as it filled and drained. This is one of my favorites as it drained. One item checked off the Bucket List! All comments welcome. >=))>

Technical Details

DJI Mini 3 Pro
ISO 100, 1/30 @ f1.7 CPL
Thor’s Well video

Bill, excellent drone image!
I’m yet to travel that far south of the Oregon Coast, on my bucket list as well.

The video is really cool, Bill. I particularly like the “flowers” formed by the "eruptions when viewed from above. They’d make wonderful stills.

1 Like

It’s always nice to check one off the bucket list Bill! The rivulets of water remind me of thinly spun filaments of wire. Very cool image IMO. Sounds like you had fun.

Wow – so cool!! Looks like the universe being sucked into a black hole!!

I wanna drone!!

Ditto! I thought the same thing about the “flowers”.

I think this is a fantastic perspective. I don’t know how you chose an image, because based on the video there were so many lovely patterns. Thanks for sharing this. I have been there, but while I enjoyed the experience, my photos were “meh”.

Bill, the “flowers” of splash are very dramatic and novel. Your still shows them well. The video shows the full action well, where the changes as each wave rolls in are fascinating.