Bucket List

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I grew up in Indiana but my mother’s parents lived in Oregon. In the early fifties my grandfather bought a small beach house in Yachats, Oregon. He passed away in 1956 but my grandmother sold all of their other properties and moved to Yachats permanently where she lived for the next 30 years. My mom ran a school lunch program so in the summers she and I would migrate to Yachats for several weeks which kindled my love for the central Oregon coast. Just south of her house is Cape Perpetua which includes Cook’s Chasm and a bit further south Thor’s Well. I’ve shot the well from the observation deck and got a reasonably good POV but I was never completely satisfied with the results.

I just completed a 10 day tour of the coast from Cannon Beach to Brookings and one of my must stop spots was Thor’s Well but this time I had a drone. I took close to a bazillion stills and videos pretty much looking straight down into the well as it filled and drained. This is one of my favorites as it drained. One item checked off the Bucket List! All comments welcome. >=))>

Technical Details

DJI Mini 3 Pro
ISO 100, 1/30 sec @ f1.7, CPL

Amazing perspective, Bill. I can certainly see why it has fascinated all of these years and glad you had the opportunity to go back with your drone. It feels a bit abstract, took me a minute to figure out what it was. The detail in the water is great. Nicely done.

Wow, I really like this. It looks like lettuce. And probably many other things. The composition is really good. It’s what @Lon_Overacker would call a ‘mind bender’. But it’s got this nice flower like arrangement. It’s like those pompadour hair arrangements popular in the 60s. The whole thing is flamboyant, lavish, and extravagant.

1 Like

Bill, this is a neat view, that without your description, I’d have never guessed what the subject was. It does look like some kind of strange, twisty flower. How nice that repeat visits gave you this opportunity.

Fantastic use of your drone! So glad you got to spend so much time in a place you’ve wanted to visit for a long time. I envy you, but not the task of sorting out your “keepers”! :laughing: Is the house still in your family? Sounds heavenly.

The striations and contours remind me of a topographical map and serve much the same purpose as the same features on one. So much depth and turmoil. While I have been to the Oregon coast briefly, I haven’t seen this in person so the force must be incredible. Nicely done.

Bill, This is such a neat shot. This is a view most of us would never see, even if we had the opportunity to go there. I also appreciate you sharing your memories of visiting the area when you were young. Oregon is on my Bucket List too.

Probably one of the most unique photos I’ve seen of this location. I love it! The abstract quality and sharp contrast between the water and rock, as well as the texture in the rushing waves. I bet this would be an amazing metal print.

Bill, this image caught my eye immediately. It’s beautiful — a wonderful abstract, not to mention documentary, image and a testament to nature’s power. Wow! All in one!