Burgeoning

Sony A77II
Sony 70-400G @ 200mm, 12mmXT
ISO 200, 1/400 @ f9
This is one of my favorite roses that almost grows wild behind our house. Lately it has started blooming like crazy. We had some nice high overcast so I decided to take a few shots even though it was a little windy and this guy is about five feet above the ground and at the end of a long branch. I used to hate using extension tubes on zoom lenses but my 70-400/A77 combo has incredibly accurate and fast autofocus so I let the camera do the work and probably ended up with better results and a lot more keepers than if I had tried to focus manually. All comments welcome.>=))>

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

The bloom is gorgeous, Bill, with the focus in just the right plane. I’d be tempted to tone down the two bright sepals a bit.

Carried Dennis’ suggestion a little further with a levels adjustment to the BG, as well as burning in the two brighter sepals. I liked the result, but this may not be to your taste.

I like the simplicity , dof and bold colors of the original very much. To my eye, the whole BG seemed just a shade too bright.

Phil: I like what you did with this. I had already burned down the sepals a bit but you went farther and more effectively. I also like what you did with the BG. Many thanks.