Bush Katydid on Prairie Rose

Image:

Description: Wild rose blossoms provide pollen and nectar for a variety of insects. This immature bush katydid (Tettigoniidae) looked good in the viewfuinder so I fired away.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D850 200mm f4 Micro (1/160 sec at f11, ISO 1000, fill flash set at manual 1/16 power) Levels, Brightness & Contrast, Topaz DeNoise AI.

1 Like

Perfectly captured flower with insect. For me what makes the image special is the color scheme green insect and yellow and pink flower. My first impression where that the BG could have been more blurry, but after looking at the image for a while I think that the BG works well.

1 Like

Perfect leg position with this little critter. And as Ola points out, the color scheme of bright green against the pink is so pleasing. Great details in the bug - looks to be a nymph stage and I don’t think I’ve ever seen one this young before. I wish more of the flower was in focus, but you had your priorities straight!

1 Like

Jim, I also like the colors of this image, with the greens in the BG complimenting the subject nicely, while he stands out against the pinks and yellows. Such nice details in this little guy. Very nice.

1 Like

What gorgeous detail in the insect, and a perfect perch! I’d be inclined to crop in more from the left, and/or wonder about a subtle dark vignette?

1 Like

Beautiful katydid and wild rose, Jim. I love the patterning on its body. No quibbles at all.

Jim the mix of colors make this especially attractive. The sharpness of the flower and the katydid are excellent. In the larger views, there are some intriguing artifacts on each antennae, where the yellow bits of the flower hide the antennae. I’ve seen that effect as an artifact in Helicon stacks but don’t understand how it occurs in a single shot.

Thank you @Kris_Smith , @Shirley_Freeman @Mark_Seaver , @Ola_Jovall , @Diane_Miller , and @Mike_Friel for your comments and critiques. @Mark_Seaver , the one antenna is suck underneath the anthers and stamens of the flower and those flower parts give the illusion of an artifact where they cover parts of the antenna…Jim.

1 Like

Hi Jim, wonderful details and color on the insect. Very interesting stage of development. A fine image.

1 Like