"Busted Pier"

This image was captured in the Outer Banks. The light on the remaining Pier sections come from the beach front condominiums behind us. Capture Date: 06-23-2017. There have been a couple of hurricanes through that area since then, so I don’t know if anything is standing today. Camera: Canon 5D Mark IV, Lens: Canon 16-35 f/2.8 L III @ 20 mm, f 2.8, 20.0 sec. ISO 3200. Processed with Camera Raw, Photoshop, NIK and Topaz Plug-Ins.![Busted Pier Milky Way,

Robert: Welcome to NPN and what a great first post. Marvelous structure and the blending of the light on the pier and the stars is excellent. Well seen and superbly captured. >=))>

Thank you for your kind words, Bill.

What a pleasure to see a scene from a clearly careful photographer. What a fine introduction to your art. I hope we see much more of it.
If I had to find a nit, I wish the pier were gradually burned from the left edge. The brightness tends to take my eye off the page.

Robert, welcome to NPN. This is a great first post. The light balance between the stars and the pier is outstanding. The glow in the surf and the hints of reflections are fine extra bits of interest.

Thank you, Dick, for these kind words. Bob

Thank you, Mark. Robert

Robert, first, welcome to NPN. This is indeed a wonderful first post. I have yet to try my hand at night photography, but I am sure it isn’t all that easy. I like that you used the broken pier in the scene, and not just the night sky. Wonderful shot. Looking forward to many more.

Welcome to NPN, Robert. What a superb first post. I’ve been waiting for someone to submit a Milky Way shot for this challenge, but the foreground in this one is very different from the usual and works superbly.

Thank you very much, Dennis.

Thank you very much , Shirley.

1 Like

Very nice night sky! Your stars are crisply sitting against a clear dark sky. I can see the “dark horse” and a nice arch of milky way. One thing I really noticed, as a very novice night sky enthusiast myself is the absence of haze. That’s so rare in the eastern states, particularly along the coast. There is such a short window of opportunity in Milky Way photography with the phase of the moon, time of day, and of course, haze and wind. You’ve inspired me to work more on my night sky photos!

1 Like

Welcome to NPN, Robert! The weekly challenges are a lot of fun and this is a fine entry to start you off! The artificially lit pier was an excellent choice as it fades away into the distance and adds depth to what would other wise be a pretty much 2D image. The small version looks really good but the large version shows a lot of what appears to be jpeg artifacts throughout the stars which is odd, since you shot in Raw and used noise reduction software. You can see it in the small version also if you look closely but it’s not as obvious.