Cabot barn

Mark mentioned looking for red barns for this week’s challenge and it put me in mind of this shot from about 10 years ago that I took in Vermont. If you want to move it to non-nature, ok.

It was a good trip despite not finding the MG Museum we wanted to find. We think we found where it was, but no trace of a single British sports car was to be seen. So we consoled ourselves with a terrific breakfast at a local diner and then drove around the countryside. Since we ended up in Cabot we went to what I affectionately call the Cheese-a-teria aka Cabot Cheese Headquarters. It’s right next to Marshfield so we probably went to the fabulous and funky Rainbow Sweets Cafe & Bakery as well. So all was not lost, lol.

This barn and surrounding hills are quintessentially Vermont. The composition was hard because of blocking trees and more buildings on the left and then the road. So I did my best. The Simpson’s clouds really make this shot for me.

Specific Feedback Requested

Does the composition work at all or is it just too lopsided?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Handheld, probably a polarizer.

cabot barn

Lr for a big exposure lift because I goofed. Curves to bring up mid-tones. Calibration to reduce red saturation. A crop and some work with white and black points. Texture, clarity and sharpening.

3 Likes

Definitely post card perfect, Kris. Nice image.

I think the composition is wonderful! The barn is big enough and well-detailed so it is not lost in the big picture, and the slope of the hills leads to it perfectly. The clouds are wonderful and the little shack is a very nice grace note. The white house does pull the eye to the edge of the frame a little but not much to do about it short of a major removal.

This could be an interesting source for some sort of painting treatment.

Thanks @David_Bostock & @Diane_Miller - glad it doesn’t seem too squished. you can see some of the trees that block the view on the left. The painting treatment is interesting. I might have a go with that in Ps - I’ve never done it before. Hm.

@Kris_Smith It looks like the barn is placed nicely in the low part/thirds-ish with the hills leading into it. I’m glad others commented on the balance. There are a lot of trees to the right but it does’t really seem a problem to me. The eye maybe does stray off to the house at some point, but I think the red barn is a strong enough element that I keep going back to it.

Kris, that’s definitely a red barn! in a lovely spring scene, with the clouds adding well to the sky. The house on the left is decently disguised by the foliage.

Thanks @karlag & @Mark_Seaver - that red sure does pop doesn’t it? The white buildings are a pain, but I’m glad they don’t drive you too nuts. I liked the V shape of the composition enough to work it on the side of the road for a few minutes.