Cacophony of Colour

SRGB

More from my three-days in Ontario peak colour. I’m not sure about this one – is there order in the chaos or is it just plain chaos? I had hoped when I took the picture that the evergreen, being dark, tall and straight, would ground the whole. But now I’m not sure. Comments and critique most welcome.

Is this a composite: No

This looks fine to me. I had to enlarge the frame to appreciate the composition. I think this is your best since the mushroom image. I prefer these colors. And the greens seem about right in intensity and tonality. I agree with you that the fir plays well off the color. Initially I thought the lower half would make a better image but I don’t think that’s true.

I like the idea, and the balance of shapes and colors, but the yellows and reds feel too saturated to me. I downloaded it and opened it in PS and it warns me that you don’t have an embedded profile. For some users, depending on their browsers, that could cause incorrect colors. Images to be viewed online should be converted to sRGB and then the profile tagged/embedded. But after assigning sRGB and converting to my workspace, in order to view the histogram correctly, it still looks very saturated and the histogram shows rather wild colors.

@Diane_Miller. I’ve never had that happen before but it looks like on this image I forgot to check “sRGB” before saving it to jpeg. Would you mind looking at the second image (I desaturated slightly) and see if it is properly saved. Thanks, much appreciated.

Kerry, I checked the 2nd image, and it still does not have an embedded profile. I have an Adobe RGB monitor on my desktop, and the colors still do look somewhat oversaturated (although it looks less so than the first), which is what happens when I view images without an embedded sRGB profile.

Color space issues aside, I think the combination of colors is interesting. I like how you used the green as a physical divider between orange and yellow, I like the striped effect it creates. I’m a bit undecided about the top of the image. I love the shape of the entire orange maple, but I’m not as keen on the branches above the top of the spruce. Those branches just feel so different from the rest of the patterns in the image, they draw my attention too much, and they are not as appealing as what is below. I would suggest a crop from the top, cutting it off just above the tip of the spruce.

I quite like this one, Kerry. The greens work well with the brilliant color (imbedded profile or not) and I like the branch structure. It does not appear chaotic to me at all.

@Igor_Doncov: Always good to get your feedback, Igor, especially when it’s complimentary :laughing:
@Ed_McGuirk : Thanks Ed. I get what you’re saying about the top of the spruce but there are two reasons I don’t think I’ll crop: first, I really like what’s happening with the diagonals moving off the maple to the ULC, which would would be unceremoniously lopped off in a crop and second, I just like the eccentricity of the “horns” coming out of the spruce’s head - gives it “character” (anyway, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it :grin:.
@Harley_Goldman : Thanks Harley, appreciate the props.

@Ed_McGuirk , @Diane_Miller : Could one or both of you educate me. I really don’t understand this thing about embedded colour space because, basically, I never wanted to have to know. When it comes to this sort of technical stuff, I just do what I’m told. Here’s what I’m doing and maybe you can tell me what I’m not doing. I set my colour space in both Lr and Ps according to recommendations from Sean Bagshaw (re: TK luminosity panel). So, I’m working in ProPhoto RGB. Being that I’m a fan of the TK panel (TK7, at this point) I do most of my detailed work in Ps. When I’m done I go to the TK panel and convert to jpeg - in the case of this image, I chose 3000 px on the longest side - and sharpened to 40%. I checked sRGB and have always assumed that in doing so I was converting my tiff or psb image to jpeg in an sRGB colour space. Evidently, I’m missing something here. Please, educate me but, please, talk to me like a six-year old.

The working color spaces that you have set up Lightroom and / or Photoshop according to Tony’s suggested guideline have nothing to do with the issue. The outputted Jpeg needs to be converted to the sRGB color space, and the color space profile needs to be embedded in the output image. The reason is that not all web browsers will display the colors the right way if the profile is not embedded. I use an Adobe RGB monitor (most monitors are sRGB), and while viewing images on the web I occasionally get images that look way oversaturated, which is due to not having the profile embedded and my monitor creates a color space mismatch. I use Firefox, and use an add-on that helps get more images looking “right”, but it doesn’t always catch everything (unless Profile is embedded). My Adobe RGB monitor only sees the colors the way you processed them if the profile is embedded. Not many people use Adobe RGB monitors, but the safest way to ensure everyone sees colors the way you processed it is to embed the profile.

I assume you are using the TK web sharpening action. Here is a screen shot of what needs to be checked, “sRGB” and “Embed Profile”

I’m not familiar with the TK Panel (something I badly need to rectify) but you should only convert to JPEG for a resized image being exported for web posting – never convert the color space of your master file (.tif or.psd). You can use the PS Export dialog to create the resized .jpg. That dialog contains a checkbox to convert to sRGB and another one to tag/embed the profile. If you export from LR the profile is automatically embedded.

1 Like

@Ed_McGuirk : Thanks Ed, that’s really helpful. I was just using the more limited converter in the combo module that doesn’t include the “embedded profile” option. But now I know.
@Diane_Miller : Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Diane. Ed’s offered me an easy fix and I’ll keep that in mind going forward. P.S. The TK7 module is sheer brilliance. Aside from its incredible capacity for creating masks based on luminosity, colour, saturation and vibrance it eliminates the need to remember all of those incredibly annoying Ps keyboard shortcuts by instead offering intuitive and easy to access buttons. Even if you never use a luminosity mask in your post processing, just for the way it simplifies Ps workflow makes it worth it.

1 Like

I prefer the one with the exaggerated colo(u)rs on my monitor.

@Igor_Doncov : Thank you, Igor. To be honest, so do I.