Caiman

Full frame

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

From the Cano Negro wetlands in Costa Rica. Taken from a small boat. This one was pretty close to us but didn’t seem bothered much.

Specific Feedback

Do you prefer the uncropped or cropped version or something in between.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, f/9, 1/1250, iso 800. I selected and copied the eye and increased the luminosity of it. The rest of the image head was converted to black and white. The water was left it’s original color.

I definitely prefer the cropped version Dennis. I really like the intense look in the eye, and the dark, ominous feel to this with the clean white BG. This would go well in the Weekly Challenge for minimalism too.

I like the full frame version because it remains menacing but not as intensely so.

I like both but prefer the uncropped version. Great image, Dennis.!

I like the full version, but I’m sort of stuck on a 2:3 ratio format! Love the shot for sure. Did you keep the color in the eye? Amazing us of selective color if I’m seeing that right.

Thanks @Paul_Holdorf Yes. I kept the color for the eye. It seemed to need it.

1 Like

Dennis, both views show a very menacing presence, with the full frame adding a bit of context and feeling less tight. In the spirit of NPN commentators never being satisfied, I’ll suggest that cropping the full frame to move the Caiman lower in the frame would look good. The details in the eye add a lot to the menace.

1 Like

Ditto, what @Mark_Seaver said !
Cheers !

Dennis: both versions are excellent portrayals of the essence of caiman. In these photos, there’s no need to see more of the body. The use of high key and selective color of the eye further emphasize the caiman. Congrats on the EP.

I totally love the cropped version and its symmetry and intimacy. I feel like I’m right there with the caiman, making eye contact. The full frame creates more of a distance but I like the proximity better. In any case, a great image, Dennis!