Is This My Best Side? & A couple of Variations

Background Mellowed out and a little bit of rotation:

Black and White Version (blue eye retained)

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Our time in Cano Negro was mostly spent on the water. It’s a land of slow rivers and canals and the boat birding guides are superb. We did two morning trips and one evening trip and saw incredible numbers of birds (and birders). One of the advantages of doing a solo or couple trip is that if you have a decent guide setting things up, you end up with a boat to yourself and your guide.

This youngish Neotropic Cormorant posed beautifully for us.

Specific Feedback

There were some brighter out of focus patches in the background and I splotched paint that matched the darker areas over them. Hopefully it looks okay.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, monopod from boat, f/9, 1/1250, iso 3200. Preprocessed in DxO PureRaw 4, processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped from a horizontal original to 4212x5232. Taken on February 22nd at 7:52 a.m.

2 Likes

@Saundie This is what I meant about the Cormorant eyes. Both this species and the Double Crested which is more common where I live, have these incredible blue eyes.

1 Like

Beautiful image, Dennis!

We have three that have those blue eyes: the Double Crested, Great Cormorant, and the Black Cormorant. Below is the Black Cormorant. I have several images of the Great Cormorant, but the eye doesn’t show. Being new to taking images of birds, the first time I saw that eye, I thought I had caught an image of something strange. Then, I realized they all had these iridescent blue eyes… amazing stuff!

Great image love the composition and BG.
I usually run into Anahingas, and at a quick glance, I can only tell the difference by the bump at the end of the beak.
Thanks
Steve

I think it is. Very nice pose and detail and the background works well with the cormorant. A very pleasing image.

I’ve been playing around with the framing technique you taught me and have mixed feelings about having the perch or other solid objects outside the frame.

Are you going to NPPNW?

Love the eyes of this species Dennis and you captured it very well. The yellow splotches in the BG closely matches the color of the bird’s beak. Nice image.

Wow, this is just gorgeous, Dennis. Terrific perch, wonderful background and a head turn for the ages. I have a couple of small suggestions and let me preface these by saying I think this is stunning as is but I find the yellow OOF leaves up by the cormorants head to compete with the bird too much and I would clone those out and or turn them green or reduce the yellow a bit. I would also dodge that dark area along the right edge of the frame about halfway up and right behind the back of the bird where there is a dark patch. I actually don’t know if this is better or not but this is what I had in mind. Quick and dirty. In any case, this is a gorgeous image.

Thanks @David_Haynes I like all your modifications, especially the yellow by the head. It was quite btight in the raw file and I thought I’d subdued it sufficiently but your version works better.