Calico Pennant

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

aka Celithemis elisa. This is a somewhat tattered male sitting on one of his favorite perches. It was VERY windy and difficult to get the kayak still enough in a position to see him well, but I kept at it and this is the best I could do. Wish that front wing in back was in the up position, but what can you do?

Specific Feedback

Tamed the harsh light as much as I could…thoughts on processing? It was a clear blue sky day.

Technical Details

Handheld in the kayak, might have had the CPL on, but I can’t remember
Highlight-weighted metering to reduce clipping and also used a custom curve in camera to raise darks and lower lights since it was already bright and contrasty.

Lr for a bit of a crop to eliminate an even brighter stick below and denoise AI action - moved the sliders quite a bit to bring up contrast as I started with a Linear profile. I find that using the Calibration panel with an LP makes a big difference as well.

Wow, dealing with wind and a moving kayak. I think you managed that quite well. I don’t think I have ever seen the Calico Pennant before. That BG sure is nice to make him stand out very nicely. Good details where needed, and you managed to tame the harsh light pretty good too. I can’t think of anything that would improve the shot.

Kris, having kayaked often, I cannot imagine the struggle it was to balance that and the wind. You simply got yourself a great photo – and only using 1/1000 sec for your shutter speed! I love the sharpness and that hint of green on ULC. The color palette is soothing and comfortable. It helps highlight the dragonfly.

Thanks for the tip.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman & @Egídio - kayak photography has its rewards and challenges that’s for sure, but so long as I have a relaxed attitude (take it or leave it with regards to “getting the shot”) I usually come away with more successes than failures. Realizing the limitations is 1/2 the battle. But then, the opportunities are pretty great so I keep at it.

The Calibration panel is a hidden gem in my opinion. I’ve moved its position from the bottom to near the top in the Lr develop panel so that I use it early in my process. I like the results, but use it with a light touch.

2 Likes

Excellent catch – lovely species even if a bit battle-worn, excellent detail where it matters, great perch and BG!! Keep at it!

1 Like