California Coastline Cormorant

What technical feedback would you like if any? ALL!!!

What artistic feedback would you like if any? ALL!!!

Any pertinent technical details:

Canon EOS 700D
EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

1/1000th sec, f/9, ISO 400, 400mm

On this day, we were near Monterey driving along the coast enjoying the views. I remember having a great time watching and photographing all of the birds along the way. This is one of many captures from that day.

Thanks for looking and hopefully commenting!

Jim

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

The exposure on the Cormorant is excellent. Good job with the detail in the plumage. A nice head turn. That said I think you could decrease some of the brightness on the rock perch. It’s a little overwhelming against the blacks and the blues.

We did that trip last March, Jim, and it’s a great area. No wonder so many people are willing to pay a fortune to live there. I like the detail in the cormorant, though I think you could brighten the eye just a touch to make it pop more. I do wish that large out of focus rock weren’t there, but it doesn’t look like there were any angles available to avoid it.

Hi Jim,
I pretty much agree what the others have said. Nice exposure on this dark bird and the backwards glance is nice. Wish the eye was more prominent and might try toning down the rock some. The blue background is nice.