Calluses and Clouds: The Grit of Kosciuszko +Rework

Rework

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

You can feel the years in this tree’s twisted limbs, like the calluses on a farmer’s hands – each one earned, each one a badge of enduring the whims of the Australian sky. It’s not just a tree; it’s a chapter in the narrative of the land, a character in the ongoing tale of the sunburnt country.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback welcome

Technical Details

16 mm at ISO 100 and 1⁄800sec at ƒ/8

1 Like

A pretty grand tree for sure, just love the character! A few things I would consider would be first to dodge out some of the highlights in the grasses in the foreground to try to bring some luminosity there, not much. Second potentially targeting the blues to bring down the brightness in the sky. Finally, and this is minor and not something you can fix now, I think taking one small step to the left would have improved the image slightly. By doing this you would avoid any overlap with the branch in the far bottom left and would add some space beside the trunk of the tree and the smaller tree in the background.

All of these suggestionis are minor as it is already a strong image. Thanks for sharing!

Don, this is another excellent study that highlights the shapes in nature. B & W emphasizes the twisted shapes of the branches. I do wish there was less detail in the sky. I think it overwhelms the tree.

Wow, this is the second image in a row that I echo the thoughts of @Barbara_Djordjevic . I think the tree is tremendous and full of character and I love the lower dead branches, particularly the branch on the left that appears to be reaching out to that smaller tree the branch is intersecting with. But, as Barbara has mentioned, I think the sky overwhelms the tree making for a busy scene. It’s like the tree and the sky are competing for attention and maybe that can even be a good thing as they kind of mimic each other. I love your stories for each of your images. They are graphic and poetic. Another great B&W image, Don.

Don I really love this photo too so full of movement and with a tree-dimensional look in the branches. All the important things have been said . For the lower small branches I think that simply cloning the lowerest branche can solve the problem without damaging the image. A very striking image as usual.

@David_Wallace @David_Haynes @Giuseppe_Guadagno @Barbara_Djordjevic

Thanks so much for all your valuable feedback! I think it looks much better for it. I think because there is drama in a sky I always feel I have to accentuate it, which is not the case, a lesson learnt … thank you. :pray:

2 Likes

Love the rework!

1 Like

I agree with @Patrick_Campbell. The rework allows the tree to take center stage.

1 Like