Camellia sasanqua + Repost

Camellia sasanqua is a species of Camellia and native to Japan. It’s valuable because it comes out in the winter. There were a lot of leaves around the flower and it was difficult for me to deal with.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any critique or comments are welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon Macro 180mm, f3.5

1 Like

I very much like the main subject. Does it smell as nice as it looks?

Photographically, I find the weight of the unfocused areas a bit heavy relative to the main subject flower, especially given that it is all concentrated on one side of the image instead of being dispersed around the subject . I think it might be possible to crop some of it and still have a nice image.

Thank you, Tony. Yes, it smells nice. I tend to take too many elements into the frame and distract the main subject. I cropped the image. How do you like this?

I think that looks better. It crops out the light elements on the right edge.

Naofumi: I’m OK with the original but the repost is a significant improvement IMO and a very nice image. I especially like your DOF management and the overall color palette. Good to see a Camellia image. It reminds me of the work of the late Phil Hodgkins who was a Flora giant and moderator with me for many years. Very nicely done. >=))>

Naofumi,
I like the colors and the off centered composition of the flower. The crop is am improvement. I am wondering if the bottom is cropped just above the dark leaf, making it more rectangular, would strengthen the image further.

Thanks, Ravi. Further cropping makes the flower stand out more, but I worry about the fact that the petals don’t have much detail.