Camellia japonica + Repost

Camellia japonica is a flowering tree and it comes out in late winter and early spring. It’s very popular in Japan. I made BG a little darker and desaturated for the main subject to stand out.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any critique or comments are welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: Yes Focus stacking
Canon EOSRP, Canon Macro 100mm, f2.8

Oh these are at the peak of perfection! I think the desat technique worked really well and the variation of pinks in the blossoms is beautiful and I’m glad you were able to keep the subtlety there. I wish I could see all of the lower leaf though.

Gorgeous flowers, and I like the two buds below the flowers! The crop feels cramped on the right, with the two large buds and the one flower pointing that direction. More of a crop from the left would balance things better, and the darkest bud there is a bit of a distraction, for me. You could also add canvas on the right with content aware if you don’t have more in the capture. I would also like to see the full leaf at the bottom, or else do a gradient burn at the bottom edge.

For me, it would be worth getting the closest petal edges in focus. You would probably need to use Zerene Stacker to deal with the overlap – I don’t think Photoshop would be able to deal with it.

Thank you, Diane. I deleted the far-left bud, made more space on the right side and blurred the bottom area. I think the image becomes calm. How do you like this?

Wonderful!! I LOVE it! Small touches can make such a difference!

I added a touch of sharpness to the prominent flowers in a very rough rework. Your thoughts?

Thank you for your rework, Patricia. It made the flowers stand out further. I’ve never sharpened my flower photos. It’s a fresh idea for me. Did you do this with PS?

Lovely flowers, great colors, nice background, all make this image very enjoyable. I like the rework, each improving the previous. Sharpening adds the flowers more prominent.

Naofumi: Beautiful blooms and a solid comp and capture. I especially like your rework. Most excellent. >=))>