Canadian Wildfire Smoke in NH

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is a photo of the effect the Canadian wildfires are having on a scenic view in NH with the mountains and lakes in the distance. I was hiking along a nearby trail and had to stop and take it all in. I processed this rather lightly in LR, trying to keep the image as I saw it with the smoke, and the weird light from the sun when it came out from behind the clouds. This scene is quite lovely in normal circumstances.
I couldn’t get any higher to take a better perspective of the surrounding lakes.

Specific Feedback

I’m submitting this mostly to participate in the weekly challenge. It wowed me mostly because I am familiar with the area and to think that all that smoke is coming down from Canada due to the prevailing winds in sobering.

Technical Details

Shot with Canon R6, 70 mm, EF 24-70 lens with adapter, 1/250 at f11

I like this perspective,Mary as it layers the landscape nicely, which helps show off the haze from the smoke.

1 Like

Ugh, looks hard to breathe! Is this the Sunapee area, by chance, further north? I haven’t lived in NH for 8 years, but was born and raised there. I like the panoramic aspect of this and the clarity of the trees that contrasts so well with the smoke and haze. Hopefully things can clear up soon.

1 Like

Hi Kristen, this is at Castle in the Clouds in Moultonborough. I was hiking the Brook Trail, there are 7 waterfalls along that trail :slightly_smiling_face: The air quality seemed fine down along that trail. I was only up high taking this photo for a short time. Thanks for your thoughts!

Looks like many of us have been able to take advantage of the smoky situation photographically, Mary! :slight_smile:

This is not so good or many people but it is what it is and it will likely happen again someday, but hopefully not for a long time (for the sake of health, wildlife and property).

You managed to capture a really wonderful landscape with lots of interesting shapes and features!
Glad you were able to maintain a healthy breathing environment on the trail and only here for a short period while taking this shot. :slight_smile:

Very well done, Mary! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you Mervin !

1 Like