Canyon Pods & Juniper - WC #887

I found this small Juniper surrounded by these interesting large pod like rocks late one afternoon and returned the next morning during sunrise to photograph this scene.
Not too much to add beyond I looked around and could not see where or how these pods got here with nothing more then sandstone and clay everywhere in the general area. Maybe space aliens deposited them here…:alien:

Wista DXIII 4x5 - Schneider APO 120mm - Velvia 50

This was a de-saturation of the red clay dust that Mark mentioned in his post. I do like it better with the change.

1 Like

I like this a lot, Paul. Great contrast in color and tone and nicely composed.

1 Like

Excellent Juniper in the rocks. I love the framing my wood appears to be sandstone; very nice color contrast.

1 Like

A really strange phenomenon, Paul - so nice to have seen this. The juniper sits in the middle like some precious icon surrounded by a stone circle - highly appropriate for the theme !!

1 Like

Paul, I think this is one tough hombre tree. It broke up a huge rock and threw the pieces aside…:laughing: The tree and the rocks stand out very well against their eroded surroundings. I’m wondering about the pinkish tone in the rocks, is that natural, the film/scan or my monitor?

1 Like

Mark, thank you for the review and comment. To answer your point on the rocks pinkish colors; yes this area is all covered in that very distinctive southwestern Utah clay. Most all of the stuff in this area has a dusting of the red to it. Not sure if a good rain would clean them up or if the objects are impregnated with the color. I do know it sticks to all my gear that comes in contact with it and makes a mess out of the vehicle interior too …:sunglasses:

Paul, when I first saw the thumbnail it almost looked contrived. Somehow I can’t help but think those aliens could have been locals. :thinking: At any rate it’s certainly an oddity.

1 Like

A very neat composition, Paul. I love the contrast of the rocks with the surrounding terrain, and the juniper is a fine touch. If this were taken in my neck of the woods, I’d think these were Glacial Erratics, but I don’t think they made it to your area.

1 Like

Paul: Nice find and a fine capture. I love scenes like this that weave a mysterious story. Looking at the BG hillside one wonders if the rocks were somehow imbedded in the sediment and eventually escaped as erosion wore away their surroundings. Then what tales would the tree be able to tell regarding how it got there? :+1::+1:>=))>

1 Like