Cape Lookout

I shot this last year one foggy morning while on a vacation on the Oregon coast. Although I saw a lot of spectacular scenes on the trip, this one seems to have a unique draw for me

Specific Feedback Requested

any critique appreciated. I am considering entering this in a club competition

Technical Details

f/16, 1/100 sec, iso 100, 38mm

6 Likes

Hi Richard, I think that your composition is great and the image has a nice feel to it. I might be tempted to increase the contrast in the midtones a touch.

Hi Richard, I can understand why you have special feelings for this image. Very nice composition, beautiful scene.
I agree with @Tom_Nevesely about the midtone contrast. The challenge will be not to lose the foggy view. I made a quick attempt, but maybe it is too far from your OP in your opinion.

Hey Richard, This is a very peaceful, relaxing comp. I want to be sitting on a beach chair with a nice cup of coffee and admiring the coming day. Of course since it’s a vacation, a bit of Irish Cream in the coffee wouldn’t hurt. :slightly_smiling_face:

I see what the others say about the mid tones, but I also think increasing them adds a bit of tension that the original doesn’t have. So I’m of a mind to leave it as is and enjoy it.

Cheers,
David

I’m with @David_Bostock on this - I’m referring to the Irish Cream of course, but I do like the original photo too!

Thanks Tom, Hans, David and Mike for your insightful comments. I think what I was feeling was the same issue…more definition in the background without losing the haze.

I think there’s nice movement in your composition here. I would probably try to accentuate some of that a bit more using some selective dodging and burning. Nice work!

Hi Richard,

I’ve looked at this a few times and I even played around with it in Ps & ACR (yesterday) but the more I look at it, the more I like it as it is.
My first thought was to punch up the mid-tones but that reduces the fog, then the thought of a little dodging and burning or even a slight amount of diffusion glow in the foggy areas but it looses the mood that makes it so inviting.

I think some of us (myself included) are a bit too accustomed to high saturation, high contrast, bright colors and luminance but sometimes it’s best to just leave it alone and enjoy it the way it is. :slight_smile:

Ultimately, I like it very much as it is presented :slight_smile:

Well done, Richard

Thanks, Matt. I will give that a try

Mervin, thank you for the kind words

1 Like

Some images are best left alone - this is one of them. I like it as it is. I can offer you some Bourbon scented coffee though in case you don’t want the Irish Cream.