Cardinal meeting

What technical feedback would you like if any? any and all

What artistic feedback would you like if any? any and all

Pertinent technical details or techniques: taken at a texas ranch. birds feed suet.

iso 3200 600 mm 5.6 1/1600

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
4 Likes

I really like the colors of the cardinals against the beautifully muted bokeh. Love the dynamic of the two competing male birds I really do not mind the movement in the wings of the bird on the left, since the head and body are in good focus. . I would suggest trying a bit more shutter speed when photographing perching birds, although you may be pushing the limit of what ISO you can tolerate.

This is really nice. The perch with the colorful flowers works well with the poses of the cardinals and the background sets them off nicely. The wing motion is nice. Overall, a great composition. I would think 1/1600 is more than enough for a perched bird, so I’m a bit puzzled by the comment regarding this and wonder what the thoughts of other avian photographers are.

Frank, this is really a beautiful image of these gorgeous Cardinals. If you have the room to do so, I think I might would add a bit more room on the left and maybe at the top (not much, if any), and crop a little off of the right, if it were mine. Just as a note, you posted this in the Macro/Close-up Critique gallery, and so if you want the image to be in the running for Editor’s Pick, you may wish to move it over to the Avian Critique gallery. If you that is your wish, and you need help with that, I would be glad to move it for you. A great look at these beauties, and the perch with the flowers is a real bonus. Love the wings spread on the one. Great shot.

1 Like

Frank: I’m generally not a bird guy but I think this is exceptional. I love cardinals and this pair’s interaction is wonderful. I like the wing movement, light and perch. I am going to move this to Avian where I expect it will get even more rave reviews. >=))>

This is really good, Frank. It reminds me of the kind of stuff Alan Murphy does at his workshops. Getting everything to line up to be in focus at f/5.6 is an accomplishment. I agree with Shirley that a touch more room on the top and left would be nice, given that most of the energy of the composition is directed that way.

Frank, I can only comment on the beauty of this shot. I love how the color seems blend outward to the open wings.
Wayne

This image attracted my attention immediately… It is beautiful, both the composition and the colours are excellent. Every detail is in the right place, the two birds, the moving wing, the flowers and the texture of the wood… And I love the red-and-purple/pink contrast. Congratulations!