Caspian Tern

CaspianTern flies over Puget Sound

Specific Feedback Requested:

any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Blurred BG using technique taught to me by Kris Smith

ISO 640, 200-600 at 600 mm, F7 .1, 2000th, handheld

2 Likes

I like the subtle increase in the blur, David. I do notice switching between the two images, that you lost a touch of the upper mandible in the blur process. A fine shot of the tern with beautiful detail and a nice background.

So nice to chat with you on the phone today! This looks good apart from the missing beak. When we talked I said that sometimes you’d need to work on the layer mask itself to paint in or out parts of the bird or the background. It’s fiddly, but using a black or white brush, sized small and with low opacity should do the trick. In this case, probably the white brush. This technique eliminates some haloing as well. Such a terrific catch. The feathers are particularly beautiful

Thanks so much for your assistance today! What is really strange is I see the beak on the image I posted, at least when I am on my iPad. Whoops, the tip is missing…. I had to look really close.

Nice frame. The position of the bird is great and the background is nice. I don’t mind the original background, but fun to learn new techniques. It isn’t just the beak that is missing, wingtips are missing and the crisp leading edge of the wing. Just flip back and forth on the two posted images and it’s really clear where the mask is not accurate.

@Kris_Smith @Dennis_Plank @Keith_Bauer
Thanks to every one!
Here is the corrected image.

Nailed it!

Nice job!

I added a few notes to my tutorial based on our conversation - about having the blank pixel layer surrounding a cut out subject if you don’t reactivate the bottom layers - stuff like that. I think it will help, so thanks for test driving it!

Very impressive Caspian Tern flight shot. I like the wing and tail position and the eye is quite discernible from the head-a problem I’ve had with these birds. Nice job.

Hi David
Very nice shot of the Caspian Tern, the feather detail and coloring excellent. The work you did on the repost really helps the Tern to standout.
Peter