Caterpillar Having Lunch

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was out at our flower bed in the back yard yesterday and found a few little critters begging for a photo to be taken of them. It took me a bit to realize that the green spot on the bloom was actually a hole in the flower when he moved back over to it and started eating. I got a few other shots, but considered this one the best since he was eating at that hole.

Specific Feedback

I thought about a vertical crop, but prefer the horizontal I think because it includes more of the flower. What do you think?

Technical Details

Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 100 mm f2.8 L macro lens with KX-800 twin flash and DIY diffuser, HH. Settings all manual to include focus. 1/200, f13, ISO 320 and flash at 1/8th power. Edited in LR just basic edits.

1 Like

Great find, Shirley and I agree the horizontal crop works well. Glad to see you are getting some time out in the yard and have wonderful subjects just waiting for you.

1 Like

Fabulous composition! The green hole is the center of attention for sure. Excellent pinpoint focus on the ever-busy munching head. You could probably crop a bit from the right to eliminate light bits of green on the edges, but that’s about it. Super!

1 Like

Hi Shirley,
that looks beautiful. I really like the composition and the color contrast.

I also like the chosen crop.

My wife would probably have gotten tears in her eyes if she had seen the caterpillar eating up the beautiful blossoms. :joy:

2 Likes