Caterpillar

I think this would be a tent caterpillar. I did not see the usual bunch of them but there were a few smaller caterpillars around.

Specific Feedback Requested

I did bring shadows up a bit. I also removed a few small dark specks but left bits of food on the caterpillar. Any thoughts on either.

Anything else.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
R5, 100mm macro, F/4, 1/40, ISO 1600, tripod, manual focus.

David, this looks good to me. I like the position that you caught him in. I don’t think I have seen one of these hanging upside down like this. The stem he is on seems to be made to order for his length. I like how the longer stem cut diagonally up through the (empty area of the photo and fills that in nicely). Very nice smooth background. My old eyes don’t see anything wrong from post processing (removing food, etc.). I’m enjoying this image.

Mmm…grippy.

Nice catch and keeping all of it parallel. So hard to do if they wiggle too much. If you have the room, I’d love to see this with most of the open space below the caterpillar.

Thanks @_Kris and @Shirley_Freeman Yes they are very grippy, sloth like. Almost all of the shots have the caterpillar low in the frame and they munch along quite fast. When it turned and headed back to the branch the face even had the sloth like compressed look.

David, you’ve got the caterpillar nicely sharp and showing good details in it’s spines. I like how you’ve used the frame, with the cat and it’s perch nearly parallel to the bottom with the big, slightly soft diagonal.

1 Like