Having Lunch

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I noticed this tiny little guy as I walked past the flowers and went back in and got my camera. It was windy, so very difficult to get a sharp focus on him. I think this might be the only sharp one, and I focused that manually. Auto was about impossible to use.

Specific Feedback

Do you think the composition is good. I prefer having it in 8X11, and so wondering using that format if the amount on the bottom and top work. That dead bloom from another flower was laying on the leaf he was on, but I thought that it kind of framed him in. What do you think?

Technical Details

Shot with Canon 5D Mark IV, HH, with KX-800 twin flash and DIY diffuser. Settings all manual at 1/200, f9, ISO 160, flash powered at 1/8th. Edited lightly in LR for highlights/shadows, slight crop, etc.

Shirley …thats a nice look at the jumper…and like the way you have it against the flower …nice work

Balan Vinod

1 Like

What a great image, Shirley! :slight_smile:

The bit of flower stuff laying on the leaf really adds a nice touch of color to the scene and the pose that the jumper gave you was perfect!
DOF and focus are spot on where they should be and the clarity on the jumper is very pleasing!

Jumping spiders are probably my favorite among spiders! Crab spiders are a close second. :slight_smile:

The BG is perfectly blurred with just the right colors.

Gorgeous! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Shirley, I was dealing with the wind today too - makes things tough! I like the composition of this shot with the spent flower sitting quite nicely across from the spider. It adds another element of interest IMO. Love those eyes. BG looks nice too. Well done.

1 Like

My reaction to this was: he doesn’t like something looking over his shoulder while eating. It’s a lovely shot, Shirley - colours, comp. and sharpness all excellent!

1 Like

Great shot, Shirley! . I can not get these little fellows to hold still on a calm day, can’t imagine trying to capture them on a windy day! I too like the decaying bloom, as it does add to the story of the environment. And the horizontal lines help give him a sense of place. The composition works for me as it gives him plenty of space. Very nicely seen and captured.

1 Like

Cool to even be able to get one of these critters in focus. You managed a nice composition with the fallen blossoms adding an interesting and unusual element. No nits!

1 Like

Hi Shirley,
that’s a wonderful macro image. I really like such pictures. Probably it is also because I have too little patience for it (I think my neighbors used to hear me curse when I tried it in the garden). So respect that you photographed this spider despite the wind.

The spider is nice and sharp. I also really like the flower. I just wish there was a little more room on the left side. But that’s not a big deal.

Well done!

1 Like