Looking Above

This is another one of those tiny (probably about a 1/4 inch long) Jumping Spiders in another Spiderwort plant in another flower bed, so quite sure it isn’t the same one I photographed recently. This one stayed back into the plant making it a bit difficult to photograph. I love how the plant frames him. The pose he gave me when I took this shot, just seems priceless to me. All I can think is, he was looking up at his Creator and asking Him to not let that crazy woman with the camera harm him.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything you can think of to improve the image.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
All manual settings, Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 100 mm f2.8 L macro lens, KX-800 twin flash with diffuser, f10, 1/200, ISO 200, HH. Edited in LR (cropped some), and NIK to correct colors in some of the brighter leaves stems that seemed a bit distracting.

2 Likes

Oh! This is so sweet, Shirley! Between this photo and the other one and whatever other jumping spider photos you have, you could make a story! This just really makes me feel like I’m looking into his little world that I would just love to walk into and have him tour me around!

1 Like

Wonderful, Shirley. Love the natural framing. Must admit, the first thing I thought was that he looks like he is praying! Cannot imagine changing a thing. Great capture and very nicely done.

Wonderful Composition Shirley. I love how the OOF plants surround the spider and how well the spider came out. I wonder if removing the small brown area to the left of the spider would keep more focus on him. When zoomed in my eye shifts a little to the left because the texture is not far off from the spider. Amazing how sharp you got because these spiders are so jumpy and small. BTW, do you use the focus light of the KX-800. I am getting ready to start using mind now.

Thank you, @Vanessa_Hill , @linda_mellor and @Dean_Salman for your kind comments. Dean, I rarely have used the light for focusing. My lens seems to be focusing okay, so I don’t add it. It is a thought though, where in a situation like this one, the spider was back up into the plant. It might would have helped some. I might see if I can calm that brown down when I get a chance.

Shirley, I agree that the framing really makes this shot work along with spidey’s upward view. The framing works so well that I’d probably clone (maybe at say 30% opacity) some green into the dark area in the upper left. That should reduce the feeling of that section being behind, so the spider is almost the deepest thing in the frame. Yes, I too often wonder what these little insects “think” as I poke my huge camera and lens right into their faces…

1 Like

Really nice framing on this one Shirley. Focus looks spot on and a dandy pose as well.

1 Like

Shirley…yes I have seen that habit with the Phintella I shot as well. May be I will post it too. Could be a habit with these tiny spiders
Balan Vinod

1 Like