Cattle Egret

Collecting sticks for a nest in Louisiana.

Canon 7D2, 400mm f4 DO IS II, monopod
ISO 500, f6.3, 1/3200s

Any comments appreciated.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Excellent detail and exposure, Allen, and great action. Given all the energy going to the left, I’d be tempted to add some canvas there.

Superb wing position and reflection. The water is really dynamic. I’m with Dennis with respect to the left side.

Hello, Allen - a wonderful moment you have captured - the action is simply great. Me too, would prefer a bit more space on the LH side of the image. That said, it’s great as posted. Cheers, Hans

The hope of getting a shot like this is why I go out looking for goodies to shoot! Superb. A little more meat on the left would be nice but there just may not be any to add (been there done that) but in spite of the cropping nit, just WOW!

Allen, you really got the timing right on the money here: fine action, wing position, good choice of freeze frame SS and most importantly, the nest material. Exposure looks pretty good (maybe slightly hot on the upper wing) but that’s a small enough not be problematic, and you have good detail on the underwings. When I was over that way yesterday, another photog was tossing bits of branches into the water, and it was surprising to me how quickly the birds were reacting.

I’ll have to admit that the need for more LH room was my first reaction. On the other hand, there’s lots to be said for the fact that the bulk of the bird is framed a bit to the right, which keeps my eye off-center, so it’s certainly far from a bust. That said, sure, I’ll vote for a little more flight room, which also would allow its right wing and reflection to get vertically aligned. Might be a little tricky but doable with content aware.

Thanks for the comments everyone! Yes that’s all the room I originally have on the left and I was thinking it was tight there. Guess I’ll need to expand the canvas stage left.

Very nice shot. I love the choice of shutter speed freezing the action. A pity about the room one the left but it is still a great shot even with that small issue. I’d be tempted to crop a little off the right to remove the small area of highlight in the top right corner - I don’t think that would do any harm with the left hand side issue either.