Celebrate the summer

Today it’s to hot to go out. This one I made some years ago. Found in the archive. Then it was much cooler. The kind of summer I like.

What technical feedback would you like if any? All is welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?All is welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques: nikon D700, lens 24-70 at 62mm, 1/125, iso 200

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Ben, I totally agree about not liking the heat. However, it’s the only weather we seem to have here in So Cal these days.

This is a really nice spring/summer time photo. I like the DOF and the peering through the undergrowth to see the downed log…:sunglasses:

This brings “memory” of “The Shire” from LOTR. Of course I have never been there but it has a lot of qualities that I associate with that place as I read the book. I love the flowers especially the red accent at the top. The play with the fallen log in the BG is very well done.

Ben,

This is one beautiful intimate portrait. I think the technical execution is excellent; the colors, processing and yes, even the focus and sharpness are good where they need to be.

Honestly, I find little to criticize here. If anything, I wish that the weathered stump wasn’t sawed off… but that’s just a personal reaction. I believe this is a very fine image capture.

Lon

Hi Ben, This sends vibes of coolness and spring a great relief from the summer heat. I love the composition. The red and green compliment each other and bonus on the almost hidden log. Beautiful.

A delightful scene, Ben. As Lon mentioned, there is very little constructive criticism to offer on this. It brings out feelings of happiness which makes it a successful image in my book! As Lon said, I wish the stump wasn’t cut but it is what it is; that’s a small nit. One suggestion I will make is to use Content Aware Fill to fill in along the left lower border because it looks like they may be a walkway or driveway immediately outside the image border. Content Aware Fill could easily fill that in (or you could clone it in) and fix it.

I like the scene, though the gray stump isn’t doing much for me. Am sort of wondering if a strong vignetted on the left side would focus more attention on the red flowers and grasses on the left and also make the blurry background in the ULC less noticeable.

Pure delight, Ben ! A composition of orderly chaos - the sweep of the grasses across the fallen log, the aerial play of the poppies and the scattering of other flowers all combine to tease the eyes.

Ben: I think this is well seen and captured. The red flowers are in all the right places and the rest of the supporting cast is top notch. I’m OK with the stump. Nicely done. >=))>