Celebrity Cicada

The Cicada’s are here in force, since early last week. I went looking for ones hatching and came across this one (in the multitude), just starting to come out of it’s “shell”. This view is flipped upside down, since that fits our human view of the world better. I’m fascinated that when I look at this view, the black spots strike me as the eyes (behind dark glasses, hence the title). A 5 shot stack. (7D2, 180 mm macro, 1/10 s, f/8, iso 800, tripod)

1 Like

Mark, what an excellent find and capture. I agree, it looks like eyes, or sunglasses pulled up on his head. I never saw any looking like this when we lived in Northern Virginia 17 years ago. They just aren’t a “pretty bug”, in my opinion, but you captured a very interesting view of one, and kind of cute. Details are really nice in the face and eyes.

I really like the head on few with all the details and nice and sharp. Strange looking creature. It does look like sunglasses. Perhaps it is headed for the beach. Well done.

What a wonderful event to witness, Mark. From what I’ve read they have a very fascinating life cycle. A bit sorry we don’t have them down here. As others have mentioned, the detail in the face incredibly sharp. Truly a great capture.

Hi Mark,

This is a nice mugshot of one of Brood X that has emerged in your area. The greens are nice and vibrant and your select use of DOF makes for an awesome image. Well done…Jim

Wow! That’s one cool bug! I’ve never seen a Cicada this color before! I’ve only seen the really big brownish ones. Awesome closeup and neat perspective turning it upside down for the shades look!

Mark: A face only a mother could love and even that may require some effort. Good find and a terrific capture. >=))>

Well done Mark, I have never seen this kind of detail or one of these insects in this stage of its life. The DOF paid off well here.