Brood X continued

Description:

The species is Magicicada septendecim and represents one of the 3 species of periodical cicadas that comprise Brood X. Nothing special, but I liked the result…Jim

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D500 200mm f4 micro (1/60 sec at f11, ISO 1000) crop for comp, Denoise, Levels
Is this a composite? No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

jameszablotny

1 Like

Jim, that’s a fine study of this cicada. There is just the right amount of reflection on the wing to show its structure - and I like how some of the grass seeds are also in focus. We won’t get our cicadas till next month, and August is their real noisy month!

1 Like

Wow! So do I (like the result)! I would say it IS special! What @Mike_Friel said about the reflections. I love the soft BG and the sharpness and detail of the cicadia and the grass seeds. I didn’t know there were 3 species in Brood X.

1 Like

So interesting…those wings are wonders. You did really well contrasting all the detail you got with the very soft background. Really effective to make it pop out of the frame. I assume it was quiet at the moment…don’t they use some body parts to make their calls?

1 Like

Jim, I’m sorry I am late getting to this fine image. I am out of town. Went home to see family, and so I will be on here when I can.

You did a super job capturing this cicadia. Such details, and the lighting is perfect. I love that you captured it on a branch with leaves. That background just makes him stand out nicely. Super job.

1 Like

Wow Jim, those subjects have a lot of great detail and color as much as they are disliked by most. The background worked out very well

1 Like

Love the details you captured of this interesting critter. Those orange eyes are really wild. Nicely done.

1 Like