New Beginning: Periodical Cicada

Description: Magicicada septemdecim spend most of their 17 year life beneath the ground where they dig through the soil and feed on tree roots. As the soil warms to 64 degrees, the immatures dig their way out and climb onto nearby vegetation for their final molt to adulthood. I caught this one as it began to emerge from the larval skin, photographed the process, and then returned later to get the posted image. The mass emergence resembles something from the X files and what better event to capture is the emergence of Brood X. Washtenaw Co., Michigan June 3, 2020.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D500 200mm f4 micro (1/50 sec at f11, ISO 500, polarizer, Diffused fill flash at -2.0 EV. Full frame Topaz DeNoise, Levels, slight tweaks with shadows and highlights and brightness and contrast.
Is this a composite? no

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.

jameszablotny

1 Like

Very interesting, Jim, and an excellent presentation. That nice smooth green background just makes for the old shell and the new Cicada to stand out so nicely. You did a fabulous job capturing the details throughout. I like how you placed the limb in the upper left diagonally, and with a the vertical frame, allow the Cicada to have room below. Well done.

1 Like

Jim: A great subject and just a superb capture from comp, to BG to exposure. Most excellent. >=))>

1 Like

This is amazing Jim, this kind of action photography even through slow is excellent

1 Like

Thank you @Bill_Fach, @Shirley_Freeman, @Dean_Salman for your comments. I was hoping to get something unusual with this cicadaā€¦Jim

1 Like

Excellent photograph Jim. Right from the planning thru to completion. And adds to the drama of these insects.

1 Like

An excellent image Jim, it is perfectly executed from a composition and technical perspective. That is a creamy, OOF background to die for. Combine that with an outstanding nature story, and you have a winning image here. I love this image as presentedā€¦

1 Like

Jim, the details in this freshly emergent cicada, itā€™s husk and itā€™s perch are outstanding. I couldnā€™t find one with a clean background or that had just successfully emerged. All of my ā€œemergentā€ shots turned out later to be failed attempts as the cicada was still there ā€œemergingā€ 24 hours later.

1 Like