Cheetah Family on an Anthill and Hunt

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was able to follow a cheetah family over the course of a few days. The first photo shows the family which consists of two near full grown males with their mother. Here the family is on an ant hill resting and scanning the area.
In the second photo I watched as the mother left to hunt a nyala. Normally at this time of year it is the dry season and the grasses are low and dead. However, there had been good rains in the preceeding month resulting in knee high grasses. As soon as the mother started her hunt, I lost her in the tall grass. Fortunately, she chased the nyala close by and I was able to see her for a split second as the pair ran by before vanishing again in the grasses. The nyala escaped.

Technical Details

f/8, 1/2000 and Auto ISO

2 Likes

Richard, your photo is a stunning moment of wildlife in its purest form. The way you’ve portrayed the cheetahs together creates a powerful sense of their camaraderie and the intricacies of their relationships. The framing you’ve chosen invites us to connect with each cheetah on a personal level, which really brings the photo to life and makes the moment you’ve captured all the more poignant. If you don’t mind me asking where was this? Great work! :clap:

Saundie: thank you for your comment. This photo was taken in S Africa at the Lion Sands Lodge. The lodge is a great place to visit if possible as it has great river frontage among other attributes…

1 Like

This is a wonderful family portrait Richard. I love that they are all facing the camera. They seem totally at peace with each other and the world. The second action shot is great too.

Thanks for the info, Richard. Isn’t it funny? I was born in South Africa and lived there for nearly 30 years, but I never went to a game park. It does seem ridiculous, but never mind. You have a great image there!

It’s a beautiful family portrait !
IMHO it requires lot of post production work to emphasise it’s full potential.
You haven’t mentioned the lens used here, I believe it’s medium telephoto.

Jagdeep: thanks for your comment. Can you please be more specific?

If this was mine, I would darken the grasses and sky as well using lot of dodge & burn to put more focus on Cheetahs. I may also blur out the bushes and grasses too.
BTW which lens you used here?

Jagdeep: thanks for the more specific suggestions.

1 Like

Wow, this is a great take on this cheetah family. Great timing on capturing them with all of their heads turned in your direction. What a great time you must have had tracking this groups for a couple of days. I envy you.
Congrats on the EP. Well deserved.