Chickadee on Ice

This little one doesn’t seem to be slowed down by his icy surroundings.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any. I wish those dark, oof limbs weren’t behind him, but such is nature, sometimes.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM Zoom f/6.7, 1/1000 sec., ISO 800. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Luminosity Mask and Topaz De-noise applied.

3 Likes

Terry, interestingly, the Chickadee is not puffed out like it’s cold even as it grips the icy branch. The bokeh in the background add well to this view.

Thanks, Mark. I don’t recall the exact circumstances, here but these little rascals are nearly constantly on the move, and rarely sit still with their feathers puffed out for warmth.

A lovely portrait with a wonderful BG that is interesting and tells a great story without competing with the very pretty little bird!

1 Like

Terry, this is a nice seasonal portrait of one of our hardy species that don’t seem to mind the temperatures. We always have black-capped chickadees around our feeders. Lots of nice detail in the feathers; I like the diagonal branch he’s sitting on (rather than horizontal) and the oof branches provided a pretty decent frame.

Thanks @Diane_Miller !

Thanks @Jim_Lockhart for your observations and comments.