Chilly Cottonwoods

Sony A77
Sony DT 16-50 f2.8 @ 35mm, CPL
ISO 100, 1/20 @ f8
Zion NP
Taken on our trip at the end of 2014 to Zion and Bryce. I liked the contrast of the skeletal trees set against the cliffs. All comments welcome. >=))>

1 Like

Bill, I am not yet good in giving critiques. But I can comment on what I see. And that is an image with a lot of color and in a in my eyes good composition. Maybe I should crop it a little to get more attention on the tree in the middle.But that is personal .
Now half an hour later I have tried it (cropping)but not happy with it. Nevertheless I post it here to let you see my effort…

Bill; what I really like about this photo is the wonderful layering of colors and texture. The way the green foreground fades to the soft feathery silver trees and then the background with red vertical lines of the rock cliff. Great photo.

Bill, as Linda points out, the transition from greens to bare trees to red rock looks great. I also like the side-to-side balance of the flanking rock outcrops and the central tall tree. I do think that a touch of burning-in along the left edge would be good.

I like this, Bill. The trees do look really good against that red rock. I do find myself wishing for more emphasis on that center tree. For some reason it’s not as silver looking as the others and doesn’t stand out against the rocks as well.

I think this composition is great. I know the location based on the rocks in the BG but I cannot recall if shooting this at a different time will separate the center tree from the background ones using tonality (the background in shadow). But even then, this is quite gorgeous as is.

This turned out really well. I like the comp and the colors. Just for yuks, I brought it into PS and converted to B&W. Don’t bother… :grinning: Very well done.