Windswept

Sony A77
Sony SAL 16-50 @ 16mm, CPL
ISO 400. 1/250 @ f8
Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP

I had never been to BCGNP so I decided to make a day trip from my base at Alamosa when I was visiting in November 2014. I underestimated the amount of time it would take to get there so I missed sunrise and had pretty crumby light during the morning. As the afternoon approached clouds started to build up along with the wind. Found this old tree near the end of the south rim road and since old timers like this are favorite subjects I decided to work it over. The wind worked me over! Had to boost the ISO a bit to get enough SS to combat the movement of the tree and would wait for a lull to minimize motion blur. Also had to shoot between reaches up to my head to keep my hat from taking off never to be seen again. The clouds eventually organized to the east and dumped a fair amount of snow on my route back to Alamosa thus enhancing the adventure. This was one of my favorite comps from my lone day in this magical park. All comments welcome.>=))>

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Bill, a neat find here. The solitary juniper on this overlook made an excellent composition. Like many junipers this one sports a lot of amazing twist and tangles throughout…:+1:
I can really appreciate the challenges along this canyon ledge or edge with regard to the high winds too. Places like that become a venturi effect accelerating the wind-speeds…:weary:

Great sky to go with a heck of a tree!I might try cropping a little off the bottom, but minor stuff.

A very sweet landscape with wonderful colors, textures and the old windswept tree. I actually did a river rafting trip down the Gunnison in one section of the Black Canyon just before the floodgates on last damn were closed, drowning that section of the river in perpetuity. That was in the early 1970s and well before national Park status.

A wonderfully crafted image, Bill - the fall of light to the left nicely breaks up the subdued tonality and draws attention to the range of textures. A beautiful evocation of a somewhat rugged landscape.

Bill, that’s a wonderful old, twisted tree in a great setting. I especially like how that main cloud seems to flow from the top of the tree. The visual balance between the tree and the blue sky urc works looks good.

I like this a lot, Bill. You did a fine job of separating the trunk from the ridge behind it, and I like the clouds and lighting.