Listen To the Wind

Sony A100
Minolta 20mm
ISO 200, 1/30 @ f11, CPL

This is one of my all time favorite subjects in Rocky Mountain National Park. I make it a point to visit this old guy every time we visit and have a number of shots in different light and conditions. It is also one of my very favorite places on the planet. I’ve spent many predawn hours and evenings up on this ridge line just listening to and watching the wind. This was taken in 2007 and I’m anxious to meet up again in a couple of weeks when we go back to RMNP. All comments welcome. >=))>

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Beautiful old tree and a beautiful image of it. No nits here.

Bill, I can see why it’s a favorite. The light is gorgeous, not to mention the surroundings. Makes you wonder how old this old beauty is. It’s notable that the distant tree is following suit by leaning from prevailing winds.

Bill, that’s a wonderful stump (at least it looks dead here) as well as it’s setting with the big rock behind and the root leading in. The sky and the distant ridges add to a good sense of being at the top of the world.

This is excellent, Bill. It conveys the feeling you describe very well and that’s what makes a really fine image.

I always enjoy seeing this old stump under different light. Today I was surprised to see an almost identical composition in a new National Geographic guide to North American parks. At least they just located it in RMNP, without any additional details.

Bill,

It’s easy to see why this is a favorite subject of yours. I think we all have those favorite connections to a place and/or time… Excellent image; favorable conditions and sky. Well done.

Makes me think directly of the Jeffrey pine atop Sentinel Dome in Yosemite, which has long since toppled over… I hope this one remains upright for as long as you’re able to keep visiting.

Lon