Flattop Furies

Sony A77
Sony DT 16-50 f2.8 SSM @ 40mm
ISO 200, 1/25 @ f18
Processed in Lightroom and Luminar 4
Flattop Mountain, RMNP
Morris McClung and I hiked up to Dream Lake in RMNP for sunrise in December 2014. It was -15 degrees F and the wind was blowing about 25mph which is a wind chill of about -45! However the hike up to the lake was pretty strenuous and I was opening zippers and trying not to sweat too much but as soon as we got to this spot and stopped to set up it got real cold real fast. I was fumbling with my mittens and gloves thus the f18 setting which was decidedly not necessary for sufficient DOF but which may have helped give the blowing snow on the flanks and top of the mountain a bit more implied motion. This is also the first image I’ve posted using the Luminar AI processing system. Nothing was replaced but I do think it was easier to get to this final result than if I had done it as usual in LR and PS. All comments welcome. >=))>

1 Like

Wow, it does look very cold! The light on the blowing snow is great…wonderful subject for this WC. Great winter scene.

Very majestic Bill. I’ve been to RMNP many times and every time these mountains have a glow. The golden color with the snow blow mist, especially if you’re there, is breath taking. Great capture.

Bill - this makes me shiver just looking at it!!! I really enjoy the gradual color shift from cool to warm. Great capture and editing!

Excellent shot of the alpen glow on the mountain peaks, Bill! The direct sunlight makes the blowing snow even more dramatic. Nice clarity and details also. The only thing that could maybe be improved is the blue cast in the shadows. Nice choice for the challenge!

Bill, this is a terrific reward for your persistence. The mix of trees and snow on the side slope do a fine job of setting off the glowing peaks and their blowing snow. I do notice the limited contrast in the center relative to the surroundings. Was there blowing snow there?

Mark: There was a lot of snow blowing across the face of the slope. It seemed that there was a significant updraft that was carrying the snow up the mountainside. It was a pretty marvelous spectacle to watch.