Chincoteague NWR

(https://images.naturephotographers.network/original/3X/2/7/27e8e9bcbbbfcc4fe8d0f8bcbf15d6a1adb74e09.jpeg)

I was born and raised about 30 miles from this site, and when I go back home, I try my best to get there at least once. We just went there last week, and I was able to go with @DonnaClarke for a few hours and shoot wading birds, or anything else that would pose for us. I took this shot a few years ago. This image was a huge help to me through the pandemic. I made it my desktop image on my computer many times, and just sit and viewed it, hoping to one day get back there. I am so thankful for our trip back last week.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
I didn’t go back into the archive to see what the settings were. I mainly submitted this image because it truly is my favorite place.

2 Likes

I’m glad you were able to return to this spot, Shirley. It’s a beautiful area, captured at a nice time of evening. Places like this have healing powers that modern medicine can’t match. The rain clouds and the reflection on the water add to the peacefulness of this scene. Nicely done.

1 Like

Thank you, Terry. I forgot to mention that this was at sunrise. It is a very peaceful place. So glad I took this image a few years ago, as it was certainly a help when I couldn’t get to my favorite place.

1 Like

What a wonderful serene place, Shirley. I can certainly see why it is your favorite. Just looking at it feels peaceful. It is so nice that it is located relatively close to you. Lovely image.

Beautiful photo, Shirley! I looked up the place, it sounds awesome! Right by the ocean and it’s huge! I’m so glad you got to go back for a trip last week!

Thank you, @linda_mellor and @Vanessa_Hill . It was so good to go home and see family and friends again. It is about a 6 hour drive from where I now live. I hadn’t been able to go back in the last 15 months because of the pandemic.

2 Likes

What a nice restful image. I checked out the location of Chincoteague NWR - what an interesting location in Virginia from which to hail. It must be amazing out on the water between the Atlantic and Chesapeake Bay (correct?) Your light and color management is excellent here. Thanks for the image and the geography lesson, Shirley.

1 Like

Yes, it is located between the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic Ocean (it is at the ocean, and has a beach front where you can walk down to the water). It has a lot of marsh land, and inlet water ways, plenty to enjoy. I grew up between the bay and the ocean. Love that area, especially now that I am into nature photography. The wildlife is fairly used to humans, so they will pose for you. Eagles have their nest out on the marsh, which I have got some shots of them in the nest, but they are a far piece away, even for a 600 mm lens. I hope you get to go there some time and enjoy.

1 Like

Great spot and a really fine, moody take of it. Anything that helps get one through the pandemic is a fine thing. Mine was remote desert trips with just me and the dog. Nice work.

1 Like

A beautiful image Shirley, and it is easy to see why you like to return here.
I especially like the trees against the beautiful sky and the soft light on the water.
Maybe I would crop a tiny bit and remove the small strip of horizontal water, at the bottom edge. Nitpicking.

1 Like

I love this to pieces and the story even more. Wonderful that you have a place that resonates so much with you and that gives you peace. Important to have these in our lives. It looks so beautiful and inviting that I just had to have a go with it - a little crop, lifted the mids a tad, a touch of a warming filter & a healing brush on the right. Not much change, but I like it even more and wouldn’t hesitate a moment to visit. Thanks for sharing your special refuge.

1 Like

Thank you, @Harley_Goldman , @Han_Schutten and @Kris_Smith for viewing and your kind comments and suggestions. I like the crop, Kris, and the tiny edits. I really like what you did.

1 Like

Shirley, I too love this image. It is both peaceful and magical. So magical that in my crazy mind I see giant behemoths in the center, walking right to left across the peninsula!
Anyway, I just think this is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

This is a great image of what must be a lovely place. I understand that the image and memory of tbis place could give comfort during the pandemic, and a positive sign for the future now when you could return. IMO the image does not need any adjustments.

1 Like

Shirley, Chincoteague is far enough that I’ve only been there a couple of times, but I do love the scenery of the Eastern Shore and this fits right in, with the creek broadening, the few trees in the distance and a lovely sky. I like the bit of water coming across right at the bottom, it does a fine job of putting me “right there”, about to get my feet wet. Easy to see why looking at this often would be good for the spirit.

1 Like

Shirley: What Mark said. A marvelous contemplative image of a beautiful place. Most excellent. >=))>

1 Like

Shirley what a marvelously mood image, I love it. It is dark and foreboding, but with a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. What a metaphor for the pandemic nightmare we have been through, no wonder this image inspired you throughout this ordeal. It conveys a sense of hope shining out of the gloom and darkness.

Thank you, @Mark_Muller, @Ola_Jovall, @Mark_Seaver, @Bill_Fach and @Ed_McGuirk for your wonderful comments. I am so glad everyone enjoyed this image of my special place. Yes, Ed, now that you mention it, I can see what you are saying about the dark and the glimmer of light, so much like what we have been through of late. I was just thinking about my favorite place to go and photograph with my photographer friend (@donnaclarke), and the good times we had there, and wondering if ever I would get there again. I am so thankful for the few hours I had with Donna at this special place last week. We had some nice wading birds to pose for us, an I will probably be posting some of them. I have been going through them and editing, which is fun after a fun trip, getting to reminisce good times. Again, to all of you that have viewed and commented, thank you. I truly appreciate it.

I like the critiques which use descriptive words like peaceful and contemplative because this place, at this time of day really fits. Shirley and I know that this spot is where we start when we go to Assateague Virginia. Every time we shoot here in the morning, the light, the color, the variety and number of birds and feeling are different. We never tire of this scene and never shoot the same thing twice. As the sun comes up in the marsh and peeks through haze and weathered loblolly pines, it brightens our day. Shirley’s representation of this place conveys what we feel in a very warm and interesting photo of a moment in time.

1 Like